Sunday, May 28, 2006

Notice: Hosting Account Exceeds Plan Limitations - Please Upgrade

Talk about a rude morning e mail to wake up to:

"Notice: Hosting Account Exceeds Plan Limitations - Please Upgrade"


I just went to the computer to check my email and that message above hit me in the face. I am saying no way to myself! We have several servers with 10 GB of storage on one of the servers and various websites take up a total storage of 188.1 MB on this one. So I place a phone call to the hosting provider and tell them the same thing. Now, I am getting a little ticked off to say the least because the auto generated email is telling me to upgrade my storage.

After telling the service provider my story I start checking out the various email accounts; thinking an email account is filling up the entire storage capacity. Nope - it was not. The provider wanted to send me up to the next level of service, which would have been a charge to my account because we are running a virtual dedicate server for the account. When this was mentioned about the additional sevice charge, you can image it did not sit well with me. However, the manager was helpful on the other end after I pushed a little further to tell them that I was a long time customer and informed this person on the same story I had previously stated. She mentioned that the control panel does show the total disk usage with the virtual server but doesn't break it out. I was over capacity. I would need to check directory by directory, databases, logfiles, and other various programs running on the server.

Well, when she mentioned "logfiles" that started me thinking that maybe the log files have been accumulating. Sure enough, one of the log files amounted to nearly 3 GB worth of information. Needless to say, it was time to do some log file maintenance.

I realized that when we first set the server up, we started the log files and they just kept collecting and collecting over the past year or so.

So much for my relaxing Sunday morning.

Article brought to you by James A. Warholic, Professional Web Services, Internet Marketing Services, Online Advertising Strategies, and Web Branding Solutions to help improve your B2B and B2C sales for tomorrow. E mail Professional Web Services for help today.

0 comments: